• Giving

I love presents. I love getting them, I love giving them. It’s one of my primary love languages, just ask that guy who wrote the Five Love Languages book.  :)

It’s my sister’s birthday tomorrow, and while I had one thing in mind when I went to the store for her present, I ended up coming home with a huge bag full of supplies and worked for most of the day on what has now become her present. And I’m so glad, because the first idea just wasn’t very personal — while she would have appreciated it (she’s very gracious that way), it wouldn’t have been that thing that made her go “ooooh!”. And I like my presents to have that “ooooh” factor.

We’re coming upon the season of giving, and I’m already plotting out who is getting what, what I’m making, what I’m buying…

So I’m wondering — what giving are you getting up to this holiday season? Are you making your presents? Buying? Giving time rather than potential clutter? Are you cutting back, or finding ways to stretch your gifts?  Any great gift ideas that you want to share with the rest of us?

6 Responses to “Giving”

1. MchllChndlr says:

I sure wish I’d have given this some thought earlier. I have no clue what I’m going to give my husband for our anniversary in a couple weeks, let alone what to give others for Christmas this year. Ouch!

2. Julie says:

I love giving gifts and I LOVE making things for people. Unfortunately, I always bite off more than I can chew. Lately for Christmas I put together a photobook at Shutterfly for the grandparents and siblings. I know everyone really appreciates them and I get to be at least a little creative with it. Otherwise, I mostly feel like my creative muscles are pinned down with babies. Ah well. Time and season and all. For now, when getting a gift, I try to put a lot of thought into what, exactly, I’m going to buy. It’s the thought, right?

3. Julie says:

@ Michelle – :D I didn’t realize that was you! Hello!

4. Janet says:

I have a friend who is one of the most generous people I know. She is ALWAYS giving gifts, every time I see her it’s gifts, gifts, gifts. Yet she shuns the Christmas Gifting thing because of the stress and the falseness that can come with it… she’s inspiring me these days as my life seems so busy… The question; why only the one time of the year?

5. Brandy says:

Like Julie, I’m giving photography gifts this year to my family. I took hundreds of pics at our family reunion this year, and “made” (I selected the size and shape and pics but Kodak did all the heavy lifting) collages for everyone. I’m buying the frames a couple at a time from WalMart, so it’s real cost effective, which is important to me with the furloughs at work. It’s also meaningful, and I think, money aside, people appreciate meaning the most :)

6. Jessica says:

I think I’m boycotting Christmas this year. Or at least that’s how I feel about it tonight. I am going to try hard to not go overboard this year. I want to just get gifts for my kids and husband and then anyone else will receive some kind of food in a cute tin kind of thing. Probably my “famous” chocolate and almond peppermint bark.
      Tonight I’m feeling a bit bah-humbug but on the whole, I really enjoy giving gifts. I tend to think about what I can give to people throughout the year. Kids and budget have been tying my hands a lot lately but at least I’m thinking about it – or that’s what I tell myself anyway.