• Calling in sick

When I was little and got sick, (which I don’t remember happening often), I got to lay in bed and read and sleep all day. My momma would check on me, making sure I had everything I needed.

For the last two days I have been seriously under the weather. Exhausted, with an overall feeling of bleh. And while I’d like to just stay in bed all day and read, I have two little ones who would be mighty confused by that.  Not to mention that one of them has just started climbing, and if I’m not watching she’ll end up on top of the table for the 50th time today.  I’d put them in front of the TV all day, but I don’t want to use that up too soon;, and besides, A just pushed the eject button and took out the fish DVD I had playing for her, so now she has to deal with no show.

OK, I rescind that, I just put in a Fraggle Rock DVD I found at Target for $5. We’ll see how well it goes over.

I got myself some yummy soup for lunch, some vitamins, and some magazines to distract myself. I’m looking forward to possibly getting a nap when it’s naptime for the girls, but I’m really not counting on it.

What do you do to take care of yourself when you’re sick and still have responsibilities to take care of? How do you take care of all of the cooking/ laundry/ household that has to keep happening? And am I the only one who is an utter beast when I don’t feel good? Please tell me I’m not.

7 Responses to “Calling in sick”

1. MchllChndlr says:

Maryanne, you most certainly are Not the only one who is an “utter beast” when ill! As for the cooking and cleaning, I just let it all slide for a later date when I feel better. I do really just lay on the couch with a remote control and the kids veg out to dvr’d shows. The kids don’t seem to mind. I’m there in body, at least. :)

2. Julie says:

I wish I had some beautiful ideas. But I don’t. It sucks. It just sucks. Usually the house just falls apart and the kids eat nothing but top ramen (or worm soup as we call it) and pbj’s. Somehow everyone survives. Last night I was up all night with a very sick baby and this morning found out he has swine flu. I don’t know how to get the regular cleaning, that I’m behind on, done while nursing a baby who cries even when I’m holding him, let alone start all the sanitizing that needs to be done. Sometimes it is okay to sit down and cry. And after that, you pick yourself up and do what you have to do. Hope you feel better soon. :)

3. Maryanne says:

Oh goodness, Julie. And I thought I had it rough with the climbing/teether. I think that’s the point I’d either run for the hills or call in reinforcements. Is there anyone with a really hardy immune system you can call to come and help? Have you let your RS Pres. know? You and the baby in are my prayers- I hope the flu leaves your home quickly!

4. Chris Unwin says:

You do one thing at a time and if necessary write yourself a note in the dust that says “get better soon!” Then put the kids in front of a movie.

5. Brandy says:

@Julie
      Oh my goodness, Julie, I’m praying for your wee one! And for you too, Maryanne…

6. Jessica says:

Chris, that was funny! Julie, I hope you get through this quickly and safely. What a bummer!
      When I am sick I do what everyone else has mentioned; let it all slide and just be a presence in our home. I try to take a nap with my youngest and let my two older kids fend for themselves for an hour or so. They are good with that. If it is a day when Ben is home then I get belligerent and tell him that I’m on strike. I also go on strike on days like Mothers’ Day when I want to sleep in and be left alone. Those days are very few and far between but sometimes going on strike works. Sometimes not. I hope you are feeling better soon!

7. Carolyn says:

Julie, if you’re looking for someone to help out, older people seem to have more immunity to this strain of flu than younger people. But it should be someone healthy, 60-ish, not too overweight.