• Seek Him in His Temple

One thing have I asked of the Lord; one thing I seek; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life; To behold the fair beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple.  –Psalm 27:5-6

Olea’s honest and beautiful post about taking care of herself in the midst of new mommyhood reminded me of the scripture that says “Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you?” (1 Corinthians 3:16, if you wanna follow along at home)

I have been mulling over the idea of temples for the past few days, ever since I prayed the opening quotation in Vespers on Wednesday.  My Mormon friends have a very clear idea of what a temple is, but even they are taught that our homes can and should be a temple too.

As we seek to make a home, what are some ways we can make it a place where God’s Spirit can be?  And why is that important?

6 Responses to “Seek Him in His Temple”

1. Jessica says:

This is one of my major challenges as a homemaker. I feel like our homes need to be havens from the world. As a Mormon, one of my favorite instructions for this come from one of our books of scripture, the Doctrine & Covenants, 88:119 “Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God”.
      The next verses go onto mention more directions and they are not specifically speaking about our homes, but to a type of school situation, but I think by applying this to my home I may be able to make my home into more of a refuge of peace.
      Now this is sometimes easier said than done. I come back to this scripture every now and again and try to recenter myself. I find it very comforting because of how specific it is – almost like a checklist that I need to follow.
      Why is this important? I think it is important to try to make your home a place where your family wants to be – especially as my children get older and turn into teenagers. When that happens I want my home to be a place where my kids and their friends feel welcome and comfortable. That’s a long way off but until then I want my home to be comfortable. I think making our house a place where the Spirit can feel welcome makes my home a place where my family will feel welcome.

2. Maryanne says:

My thoughts are going in a couple of different directions, so I’ll try and stay on target.

My first thought (because I read it earlier this week and have been thinking about it) is of Hannah who wanted a child for years and years and finally was blessed with Samuel, and in her thankfulness she dedicated him to the Lord and sent him to live at the temple. I’ve been thinking about this for a number of reasons, but in terms of your question: in our gratitude for our children do we dedicate them to the Lord and create a temple wherein they can live and become the person the Lord would have them be, rather than the person that is the most convenient for us?

My other thought is of Julie Beck’s talk where she says that: “Growth happens best in a “house of order,” and women should pattern their homes after the Lord’s house.” I think this is a huge clue as to why we should make our homes a place where God’s spirit can be – so that we and our families can grow and become more like Him. (And just for the record, I don’t think she meant our houses have to be spotless, but rather that they can be places of concentrated learning, kindness, order and peace- a true refuge from the world.)

As for how to do that….. music is a huge one for me, as well as trying to make sure everything is decently clean and orderly. Making sure that I plan things in such a way that we’re not rushing around like chickens helps too.

So many thoughts… thanks for getting my brain going, Brandy! I can’t wait to see what others have to say.

3. Hilary says:

Amen, and amen to Jessica and Maryanne. The last few months I have felt the desire growing in me to create more of a house of order. Like tonight, we had the missionaries over for dinner which always results in a *big* mess in the kitchen. But after they left I felt very motivated to clean up, wash the dishes, etc. I have learned that I am much more able to be worshipful on the Sabbath when I am not staring at a kitchen full of dirty dishes at 7am. And the miracle of it is that I have grown to really enjoy the time I spend preparing myself and my home for the sabbath. It feels almost like the time is consecrated. So I feel uplifted and invigorated by it instead of worn out and beaten down. I guess I am just really grateful for the help the Lord has given me in the form of a greater desire for order in my home and the capacity to create it.
      Often when I am trying to clean or tidy I remember Pres. Uchtdorf’s talk from a while back about how the act of creating is essential in our lives. I think about how I am *creating* order in my home and that better allows me to feel the spirit and recognize more of my potential as a daughter of God.
      I also like when cjane wrote about how she asked her mom if she had a ‘cute’ house when they were little. Her mom said ‘no, but I tried to have a clean house’. I find it comforting to remember that ‘cuteness’ isn’t necessary for the spirit to be present. And when money is tight and toddlers are climbing on every surface possible, it is comforting to remind myself that I don’t need ‘cute’. :-)
      Also, going to the temple regularly has helped me have more of a desire to create a similar atmosphere in my home. The temple reminds me in such an intense and personal way how much the Lord loves me and is watching over me and that gives me more of a desire to create that for my family.
      Thanks for the great conversation, ladies!

4. Jessica says:

I woke up thinking about this conversation this morning. I think the number one thing I can do to invite God’s spirit into my home is to pray for that to happen. I can ask for inspiration as to how to do that in prayer as well.

5. Brandy says:

I love the idea of giving our children to the Lord by creating a home they can feel Him in! That’s really got me thinking, Maryanne.

I agree, Hilary, that it is easier to feel the Spirit with clean dishes :) I think it is a symbolic of way of decluttering our soul, and physical way to prepare to meet Him.

Thank you for that excellent point, Jessica, that we can pray for Him to be with us. A little thing, but easy to overlook.

What a great conversation!

6. Maryanne says:

I find it comforting to remember that ‘cuteness’ isn’t necessary for the spirit to be present.”

Amen, Hil, Amen. I need to remember that more often.