• Putting my superwoman self together

I’m a new mother and aspiring superwoman.  My daughter is almost 3 months old now and I finally feel like I have a routine down with her.  However, I still end up spending most of my days not leaving the house and when I do I try very hard to not look like I have spent all day in my sweats getting spit up on.  It’s a bit more difficult than I thought.  When I feel messy I look messy, but sometimes if I work backword and try to ‘unmessy’ the look, I can trick myself into feeling better!  I have been a hairstylist for 8 years now and using some past experiences have come up with some tips that help me feel and look a little more put together.  I wanted to share them because I’m always looking for more and hopefully this will inspire you to find those tricks that help you and PLEASE… share them with me!!

My first and most common problem is oily hair!!  I don’t wash my hair everyday.  I know some people have a hard time with this but it is actually better for your hair if it is somewhat coarse like mine.  It always seems to be the days that I need to wash my hair when we get a phone call inviting us to some shindig that I would like to look put together for.  So what do you do?  My hair is long, so there is always the option of the ponytail. (I”m SO sick of the ponytail)  What do I do?  Baby powder!!  I know, I know, it sounds weird but try it!  What I do is part my hair down the center and sprinkle some baby powder * right on my head, then make a part just to either side and do the same.  Then flip your head upside down and rub the powdered area on your scalp.  This works because the powder absorbs the oil in your hair and falls out.  It wont make your hair white, but if you are worried than try just a tiny bit at a time.  You can always add more!

*you can also buy talc powder if you have no need for baby powder.  I just had baby powder around the house.

Another option is to keep a big container of inexpensive gel handy and do the ‘ol slick back ponytail.( LA Looks is a good one that comes in big containers, I’ve found)  If you have short hair you can try a can of spray wax and that can give hold to the dirty hair so it doesn’t look so oily.

The other issue I have is not having time (or energy) to put on a full face of makeup.  Here are some things I’ve found that have helped me:  Most women I’ve talked to have that one thing that makes them feel put together.  For my mom its lipstick.  For me, mascara.  But just doing mascara is not enough for a ‘going out’ face, so I pair it with something bold.  I like to add dramatic lipstick, red is my color of choice.  If you aren’t a lipstick person maybe your an eyeliner person.  I think my sister is.  When we have a spur of the moment chance to see a movie I have seen her put on a bolder eyeliner.  I recommend experimenting with liquid if you aren’t familiar with it.  She gets really nice sharp lines with liquid.

I guess the idea behind this is that you get your basic thing that makes you feel ‘done up’, then add something a little bolder to dress it up.  I have done dark eyeliner with my mascara and put on chap stick.  It looked like I spent more time on myself than I did and ultimately that is the trick to being a superwoman!

So?  What do you do to get yourself in last-minute-date ready?  Do you save the expensive smelling lotion for a I-feel-hot-because-I-smell-good-so-no-one-knows-I-haven’t-showered-and-really-smell-like-sour-milk-pick-me-up?  What’s your sexy superwoman secret?

88 Responses to “Putting my superwoman self together”

1. Maryanne says:

I have to have mascara to feel alive leaving the house, and lining my upper lashes tricks me into believing I’m more pulled together than I am. :) I think it’s because it looks like it took more time than it actually does, so I feel like I’ve put in some effort, even if I really haven’t.

2. Jessica says:

I love this post!!! I can always use quick Superwoman tips. I totally am a eyeliner person. If I don’t have eyeliner on then I feel dowdy. Dowdy is not something a mom needs to feel! I love the tip about adding something bold like more eyeliner or a bright lipstick color. I have a red lipstick but I want to experiment and find a different shade soon. That can go on my Superwoman to do list!

3. Jessica says:

Oh, I forgot to add that I also really like add a bold scarf or a bold necklace if it’s too hot for a scarf. It adds a bit of pizzaz and makes me feel a little bit made up.

4. Julie says:

I like my “foundation.” I had acne for a lot of years, and now that my skin is clear, is amazes me how nice my skin can look. I have bare minerals and nothing could be easier! It doesn’t even get my fingers dirty. I don’t really like any other type of makeup (the feel of it) so I usually only put it on for special occasions. Chapstick and brushing my teeth also make me feel good. I know at least I am clean. And if it has been a really bad day, a clean shirt works wonders. I don’t worry about the soaked in spit up on my pants or the dirty socks, cuz with a clean shirt I’m pretty sure no one would ever notice.

5. Valerie says:

I guess I cheated a little when I had my eyeliner tatoo’d on. I’m definately an eyeliner person. I look less washed out with a little definition on my eyes.
      I liked this post…

6. Olea says:

YES!! I love these! Jess the scarf or jewelry idea is great! I always forget to put on jewelry. (our parents would not approve) I am going to try it! Also brushing your teeth is great. I don’t think I remember because of the pattern of doing it at night or morning all my life! But it definitely makes you feel clean. Valerie, my mom used wake up and put on her eyebrows until she got them tattooed on then she became a lipstick person. It just means you are already a few minutes ahead of the rest of us! :)

7. Amy Buchanan says:

It will get easier and harder, Olea.

I love using baby powder and dry shampoo, too, on those days when I don’t have time to wash my hair. I’ve also found that some fake hair can work wonders. I have a faux, short, curly ponytail that I can clip on those days when I don’t have time or energy to do anything else to make myself presentable. It’s important that the color matches your own, though.

A French twist is another trick. It makes day-old hair look chic. I always get compliments when I wear my hair in a French twist; I think because it is a very glam look that therefore must take major primp time. But the French twist is one of the easiest ‘dos in my repertoire. 10 minutes tops. Which is a long time when you have a newborn/infant/todder/ who can use those 10 minutes to get into major mischief.

8. Jessica says:

What a great idea, Amy! The faux hair and updo are both brilliant. I also think getting your makeup tatooed is great. I have been playing with the idea of getting my eyeliner tatooed too, Valerie. All the people I know who have taken that step love it.

9. Hilary says:

I really like this entry…. I have a 5 month old (plus 2 others) and when my oldest started school I KNEW that unless I was calling in sick to my motherhood life (as if there’s sick days, but I allow myself to call in sick every now and then… but that’s a blog for another day) I had to get ready. That means something with SPF, powder, eyes (whatever I’m feeling for the day) cheeks and lips. It realy makes my whole life smoother.
      And yes, it gets much, much easier. Until those days when it’s harder. :)